Skip to main content

What does a good game consist of? (part 8)

Non-linear quests

I have shared so far my thoughts on non-linear stories, but let's expand on it and actually define how would it be used for quests. I have once tried to make a game with non-linear story, but when it came to actually making lore quests, I ran into a major block: how could one possibly make a dynamic story?

The game design documentation for my game is already 30 pages long the quests would make it even longer.

So there had to be found another approach. I was stuck there for months. Until I read about test-driven development.

TDD or test-driven development strives to make game development process shorter, with less computer resources usage. But how would one create a quest which would connect to 20 different quests?

Here are my ideas:
- use Lucid Chart for diagrams of the quest structure tree
- better organize your code
- small amount of connections for each quest
- read on object-oriented programming
- make it more than a chore, the point is to have fun
- most of all though, make quests stand out so it's easier to connect them

Let's look at an example of the last idea. Here's an exercise for you:
try to make a quest which really stands out.

Please avoid "kill 200 rats" or "bring me 100 items of A,B, and C type" where the items are randomly put on the world with no relation to what the quest giver said.

Let me make an example: Adventurer, I am in dire need of a help finding me a sword. But it can't be just any sword. I need a scimitar which will be of yellow handle and black blade. I need you to get me one but it will be dangerous. To get the scimitar you will have to steal one from a shop, as they don't want to sell them anymore. The smithy makes them only for himself. It will be hard and make sure they don't catch you. I have the black dye, I will also need a golden-yellow which is so hard to get these days. You'll also get one at the royal apothecary.

May I ask you why you need such a sword?

I got an offer to sell it for a great amount of gold. I will give you the third.

I think you get the point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level design basics, part 2

An arch level design is hard, as it doesn't involve only polygon boxes, but also also three dimensional curve lines. If you ever played. Americas army 1, you'll know how hard it is to make a curve building, like the famous over played bridge crossing map. The point is to start. With one curve. Curve is not a straight line, but it's still a line. Means it is possible to apply lines into a three dimensional level. arch 0 0 1 0

Level design basics, part 6

Blocks It takes a lot of building blocks to make a video game level. Video games are after all nothing but very sophisticated and complicated toy games. You can start by making very small pieces of code, say ten of them. After put them in separate files and connect them together. Using JavaScript should do a good trick here. TypeScript defines code blocks, modules and scripts. Forest campaigns are hard to make, but are real fun to play. It is a great adventure, even if it is not a role playing game; and regard less of the weather. Weather and weather conditions are two very different things. Weather conditions are a clausal, all you have to is switch a weather variable: std::string weather{"sunny"}; weather = "rain"; That is a good way to implement into a video game. But weather is something else, it's a cloud system. Very hard to make changing weather. int weather_clouds{10}; weather_clouds+=1; Pick the one you prefer and are capable of doing. So a major buildi